Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Nanopants miss the Bullseye


feetup   Modz

CNBC's Bullseye just put nanopants to the test and, I'm sorry to say, it was not a great TV moment for nanotechnology. Host Dylan Ratigan spilled a cocktail of wet and sticky stuff on his pants and, well, the water rolled off the nanofibers, as advertised, but the coffee most definitely stained. A little mustard and ketchup were added just for fun.

But I have to hand it to Ratigan's guest Mark Modzelewski, managing director of Lux Research (former NanoBusiness Alliance chief). He put his best leg forward with the grape-juice test. At this moment, Mark might be walking down Wall Street with purple streaks in his pants. Oh well, Mark did change the subject nicely when he held up the nanotube tennis rackets and a box-o-quantum dots. We might need to work on the pants thing, but cancer detection is kinda cool, too.

I cameraphoned the show, but unfortunately I'm out of my T-Mobile area now and can't seem to e-mail them to myself. I'll post the pictures as soon as I can figure out how. Update: Pictures above. At left, is me assuming my vacation position while watching the show; at right is Modzelewski showing off his quantum dots.

By the way, I'm a veteran of many coffee spills on my nanopants. I can say that the stuff works. Or, maybe that explains the chuckles that I always hear whenever I leave a room.

NanoBot Backgrounder
The people want the pants
Consumer Reports reaches into the nanopants
Nanopants diary

No comments: